Our student council members will honor a CHS staff member as "Teacher of the Month." Nominations come from YOU! Think about who went that extra step in getting you started this year. Someone who helped you when you felt lost. That's the person you should nominate! Mrs. Chavis, one of the student council advisors, has a form posted on her web page for you to complete. No paperwork...just a few clicks of the keyboard and you will select our next CYCLONE TEACHER OF THE MONTH!
Click here for the form.
Congratulations to our Teacher of the Month for October, Mrs. W. Wierzbicki Davis!
Teachers nominated students for "Students of the Month". The winners for October are: Lewis Dye, Elizabeth Clark, Matthew Williamson-Davis, Isabella Parsons, Olivia Caldwell, La'Jessica Price, Mya Poag, Jacqueline Gonzales, La'Diamond Mobley, Melissa Johnson, Janice Morris, Gracein Holley, Ashley Puckett, Skylar Watson, Anthony Aul, Johnaya Davis, Justin Bright, Jeremy Stroud, Elijah Dixon, Christian Sloan, Italy Grant, and Ja'Nae Wright.
Way to go, Cyclones!
Students, you can be nominated in November by showing your Cyclone Pride in all that you do. Put forth a little extra effort, be a good citizen, and always take pride in yourself and our school.
eBooks are a part of our library media center collection. Open Destiny Quest at CHS (it's an app on your tablet) and look for the "Resource List" called eBooks. Click there and it opens a listing of all our eBooks. Some can only be used by one reader at a time, but most of them are available to more than one reader at a time. Download them while you're at school and read them with or without Wi-Fi access at home or on the bus. Be sure to let Mrs. Podmore or Mr. Hughes know if you have any problems with the eBooks or accessing your Destiny Quest account.
Attention CHS Cyclone Students and Parents
The last day of school for this year is Thursday, May 26, 2016! And before that date, we have a lot to accomplish:
· It’s time to register for classes. If you have not registered, please come to the school during regular business hours to do so (8:00 AM – 3:30 PM). To register, you will need to have two documents showing proof of residence. You will also be required to pay overdue fees.
· Plan to attend MEET THE TEACHERS NIGHT on Thursday, August 13, 2015 from 11:00 AM- 7:00 PM.
· Get your new tablet. To receive your tablet you must pay a one-time insurance fee of $50. If this doesn’t fit into a beginning-of-the-school-year budget, set up a payment plan with Mrs. Rice during MEET THE TEACHERS NIGHT. Our teachers are excited about incorporating technology into their lesson plans from the very first day. You do not want to be left behind!
· Finish your summer reading! All of the principals have finished the book, Gifted Hands, and we expect that you will have too. We have scheduled the first week of school for discussion and assessment (activities/tests) on the book.
· Maintain high standards of behavior whether it is in the classroom, in the athletic arena, or in any extracurricular activity. Plain and simple: DO RIGHT! This is what we expect; we will accept nothing less.
· Strive for academic excellence. We are in an age of high-stakes testing. You may not like all of the standardized tests you have to take, but it is your responsibility to do your best. Study, keep up with your homework, ask questions if you don’t understand something, and take advantage of BLAST to retest and complete make-up work. There is NO excuse for failure.
· Report to your first -block class at 7:50 AM on Monday, August 17. You should have already picked up your schedule, taken care of purchasing a parking pass, and found your locker. We are ready for you, your teachers are ready for you, and you should be ready to hit the ground running.
You have 180 days before the end of this school year and we are here to help you succeed. Let’s get started!
The CHS Administration Team
Mr. Martin Tiller, Principal
Dr. Duane Graham, Assistant Principal
Mrs. Danielle Reilly, Assistant Principal
Dr. Alfred Williams, Assistant Principal
CAROL SHOCKLEY, DISTRICT COORDINATOR
CHESTER SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT
744B WILSON STREET
CHESTER, SOUTH CAROLINA 29706
THE CHESTER SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION DISTRICT WILL BE SPONSORING A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT TO ATTEND CAMP WILDWOOD THIS COMING SUMMER.
Camp Wildwood is a high energy hands on, outdoor environmental camp for 10th through 12th grade students and is in session June 19-25, 2016, at Kings Mountain State Park. At Camp Wildwood, students acquire the knowledge and appreciation needed to protect and wisely use our natural resources.
Camp Wildwood helps young adults grow by providing a supervised, positive environment that has safety as a primary commitment. Wildwood encourages self-reliance, self-discipline and independence in an outdoor setting. Self-confidence is built through cooperative relationships with adults and peers. It is also a place to learn about the diversity of our natural resources and the variety of career choices within the environmental field.
Daily activities include instruction in fisheries, forestry, firearm safety, orienteering, first aid, soils and wildlife. The hands on classes are conducted outdoors by professional resource staff members. Afternoon activities include sports such as softball, swimming, and volleyball. Dances, campfires, and skit night are some of the most popular evening activities.
Camp Wildwood is sponsored by the Garden Club of South Carolina, Inc., the South Carolina Wildlife Federation, the Harry Hampton Memorial Wildlife Fund, South Carolina State Parks and the S. C. Department of Natural Resources.
For more information, please contact Carol Shockley at 744B Wilson Street, Chester, South Carolina, telephone 803.581.1908x101.
Chester High School strives to create a safe and nurturing environment where students are encouraged to develop academic, social and emotional competencies. To this end, we are committed to developing creative, independent students who are prepared to contribute to local, national, and global societies.
Click here for the handbook. Beginning in spring 2015, the ACT test will be used as a statewide assessment in South Carolina to meet state and federal accountability requirements. With the exception of students who are eligible for alternate assessments, the ACT must be administered to all students in the eleventh grade, including students with disabilities. Eleventh-grade students are defined as students in the third year of high school after their initial enrollment in the ninth grade.
Please read these documents for important ACT/WorkKeys Info:
ACT Basic Information
Accommodations Memo for Parents
The State Department of Education and ACT have determined that ALL students in 11th grade WILL take the science portion of the ACT on April 28th. This is a change from the original information given to school districts.
Click here for the Chester County Career Planning Guide for 2015-16 (revised July 21, 2015). Parents/Guardians are now able to monitor their children's school meal accounts online!
- Create an account by going to www.K12PaymentCenter.com
- Click "Register Now"
- Select Chester County School District from the drop-down lists of school districts
- Fill in your information, input your credit or debit card information and you're ready to go!
***You will need your child's Student ID Number. This number is printed on report cards and on their student IDs. Please contact the school if you are unsure of this number.***
Once the account is established, you will be able to:
- Make payments for meals online securely using your credit card (*Small fee applies for each payment.)
- Deposit money into multiple accounts with just one payment, no matter which school your child attends.
- Get quick and easy access to your child's account 24 hours a day.
- See your child's meal purchases.
- Check your child's meal account balance.
- Get low balance alerts by email and/or text.
This web site is secure and utilizes all of the current industry privacy standards.
The locations of free Wi-Fi access for CCSD devices are:
Roddey Building in Chester, Pine Springs Park in Leeds, Baton Rouge Park, Lowrys Park, Edgemoor Fire Department, Fort Lawn Community Center, Blackstock Market, Lewisville Middle School parking lot, Great Falls Elementary parking lot, and all high schools parking lots.
Please see this video for information about the Teacher Cadet program. See Mrs. Anderson in Room A-1 to sign-up or learn more information about the program for next year. S2tem Centers SC Link
The S²TEM Centers SC CCSSM Implementation Team provides quality professional learning experiences and support resources for educators preparing for implementation of the Common Core State Standards in Mathematics.
Teachers, please complete at least 3 days ahead of when it's needed so you will have time to get approval. Click here for form.
Login to Office 365 (www.outlook.office365.com) SEE BELOW IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO THIS
Send an email to:Send an e-mail to:
In the subject line, put:
CHS, Your Name (first and last)
In the body of the message, put as much information as you can about the problem you’re having.
One of the IT staff members will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
Be sure to periodically check your email. You will receive updates as the problem is fixed and to let you know when it’s ready to be picked up.
The IT Office is in Room F-5.
How to sign-in to email:
You have to check your email through Office 365. This is how:
1. Login to your computer with your first initial, last name, and the last 4 digits of your student ID number. You set up your password this year when you logged on to a computer for the first time. (If you haven’t logged in yet, your password is password, and you have to change it right away.)
2. Click on the desktop icon for SIGN IN TO OFFICE 365 or open an internet browser (Chrome/Firefox, or Internet Explorer) and go to www.outlook.office365.com .
3. You will login with your regular username (first initial, last name, and last 4 digits of your student ID number) but you must add @chester.k12.sc.us after your 4 digits. John Doe’s log in would look like this: email@example.com . This is also your email address, if you want to give it to someone. Remember, when you graduate or leave Chester County School District, this account will no longer exist, so use it only for school-type stuff. Use your Microsoft/gmail/yahoo accts for everything else.
4. Your password is the same password you use when you log on to the network at school. Same password for the network and for Office 365.
Mr. Robert Jordan
CHS TEACHER OF THE Year
Like Us On Facebook
"Chester Senior High School"